Monday, January 17, 2005

Sucking Freezies in the Rain

I know what time it is. I realize that its already January 17th. But I also realize that I haven't let everyone know my top 5 albums of 2004. I mean, this is possibly the biggest event of the entire year for a music geek and I totally missed it. Well.. Missed putting on the internet anyway.
let me start by saying that 2004 was not the very best year for new releases. I was thinking about this list in September and I became so frustrated I couldn't speak for 3 days. Some of the best albums this year were post-September which is quite different from 2003, where I had my list made by that time.
this list this year may not be as accurate as I would like. Being that I'm living up north right now I have very little access to the radio indie scene, and seeing as I've been here since September, I still haven't heard some of the stuff by artists of say pitchfork's top CD list. Still I think my list is agreeable and will leave a pleasant taste in your mouth. So without further ado

Jon Discovery's Top 5 Albums Of 2004!
1. Arcade Fire - Funeral (ok so its number 1 everywhere, but for good reason. I wouldn't be surprised if I achieves sgt or ok computer type status in the years to come)
2. Stars - Set Yourself On Fire (I don't know what to say about this band except, why do I keep missing all their shows. So many missed opportunities. Luckily this CD is awesome)
3. Wilco - A Ghost is Born (I know it's no YHF, but it works. I'm not normally one for long drawn-out jam songs, but this album made me a believer)
4. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands (wow. Compared to his first album oh me oh my, this is just so different. He took his unique voice and turned it into something so beautiful and real. By far the best 60's folk album released since Donovan)
5. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free (Mike Skinner, may be somewhat irritating, but he made it happen in this hip-hopera.)

Hon Mention:
Ben Kweller - On My Way
Tilly and the Wall - Wild Like Children
Mountain Goats - We Shall All Be Healed
TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood thirsty Babes
Julie Doiron - Goodnight Nobody
Tangiers - Never Bring You Pleasure
Heavy Blinkers - The Night And I Are Still So Young



well thar she blows folks. That's my nickel. I have to go buy and extending chord now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home