Thursday, April 28, 2005

Mane of Discovery

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is what I would look like were I a lion. Mostly likely a rouge male cast away from the rest of the pride left forge for myself and much better for it. We skinny lions, we'll be the death of you.
I haven't been blogging and I apologize. Between researching travel destinations, and downloading as much music as I can find on to the SIAST network drive, I haven't had much time for my thoughts. My thoughts as always are about the news and music I'm listening to.
first, the news.
it will sure be great if the federal buget is passed. Jack Layton has finally done something. I thought he was dead, he hadn't been mentioned in so long. This is a real stepping stone for the NDP. The money that's now going to social programs and foreign aid is very refreshing. I'm sure Bono will be happy after his choice word to the prime minister the other day. All in all I'm pretty impressed by the political system in Canada right now. It all seems to be working out, except of course for Stephen Harper. If he manages to shoot down this buget then everything is back to square one. I'm glad they no longer call themselves progressive conservatives. Really I just hate Stephen harpers smarmy confidence. Referring to the NDP/liberal talks as a "death bed conversation". If that guy ever becomes prime minister even in a minority government, I'm moving to Singapore until it all blows over.
now on to the music.
April and May are always huge for new music and I've been doing the best I can to hear it all. The problem is that being born in 1983 has left be pretty behind on a lot of music so I'm always working my way through it all. For the new stuff I'm listening now I'm really into the new British sea power's open season. Its not as much fun as a lot of the tracks on the decline off..., however its really catchy and easy to listen to. The brit pop certainly shines through a lot more these days. Other new ones like the decemberits picturesque are gaining popularity. its also very great but at the moment is failing to compare to her majesty, the decemberists. There's also the new mountain goats, the sunset tree which delivers but is undoubtedly different from his other works. Not better or worse, but different. I like none the less. Then of course the new Bonnie 'prince' Billy and Matt Sweeney with superwolf. Best of his since I see a darkness I think.
other great stuff I've been listening to is Black mountain's self titled. Took a while to get into that one but fuck is it good. I can listen to any song on there over and over again and no get tired of it. Going back a few years I recently picked up forever changes by Love. 60's pych-folk at its finest. Listening to the zombies a bit as well.
there's a lot of other stuff that I haven't passed judgment on yet as well like magnolia electric co, the go! Team, Joanna newsom, nick drake, and about 3 million other I cant be bothered to list right now.
also threes some new singles out there from the more popular band I tend to like. There's feel good inc by Gorillaz, which is actually really great. They tend to squeeze too many styles into one song and this is no exception, but I like it anyway. Blue orchid by the white stripes, which also is pretty great I think. After the first listen I wasn't convinced. I wasn't even sure that it was them. Now that I have it on the playlist, it shows up occasionally and I'm very happy when it does.
then we come to the new Weezer single. Yeah.......
is it really fair to criticize a formerly great band for their latter day sins?
either way the single "Beverly hills" is unquestionably the worst thing I've ever heard from weezer and all I can do is wait for the album and hope it doesn't all sound like that. Teen summer movie soundtrack garbage.
well that's that for me for now.

Jon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home