Wednesday, February 09, 2005

For No One

At risk of sounding like a angsty high school kid, I'm feeling a little like R2-D2 at the moment. No one undertstands what he's saying and no one seems to care. The internet turns me into whatever this is. I'm 14 again.
of course I shoudlnt expect anyone to listen to me. I really don't have a whole lot to say that's relevant. Most of what I say is recycled paraphrasing from a website I've vistited recently. Politics is like speaking French to me. I understand it, but I cant speak it. I don't know how to form a sentence properly. Discussion and debate are very different things.
I was watching "outfoxed: rupert murdoch's war on journalism" last night, and one portion really upset me. Bill o'rielly, a right wing fox anchor was interviewing a young man by the name of Jeremy glick. He had lost his father in the world trade center attacks, but had signed an anti-war petition. Bill o'reilly was screaming at him, and he remained calm explaining why he was agaisnt the war. Mr o'rielly was furious screaming about how he was a disgrace to the victims of the attacks even his father and his widowed mother. Jeremy remained calm and polite andevery time he tried to say anything he was screamed down. Eventually he was cut off and removed from the building.
I wish I could remember one of my favorite quotes. Its from the book mother night by Kurt vonnegut. To paraphrase, no matter how much you hate, god does not hate with you.
we all have our own idea an opinions, but with the right of having opinion comes the responsibility to listen to other viewpoints no matter how radical. They may seem to you. An aguement is not won by volume and semantics. And argument can only be won if the parties involved accept their differences and try to learn from one another.
if you're listening please use the comment feature. I'd like to know if I'm being heard or not.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Politics is like speaking French to me. I understand it, but I cant speak it. I don't know how to form a sentence properly."

I totally understand what you're saying here. I feel the same thing...I tend to have strong opinions but have a hard time articulating them.

Jon, I always read. =) I always, always do.

-kim

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon
I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. I went to see Brad Trost to talk to him about bailistic missile defence, and in finding out that he supported it asked him why. Basically his reply was we need war to create piece, (as well as telling me that canadians and americans are the same) BULLSHIT!!!!!http://www.goyk.com/flash.asp?path=1213, take a look at this link and keep up the good fight!!

Caitie

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and with piece i mean peace. how can you tell im in university

Caitie

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home