Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Autumn - Version 2.0

Here we are (I am), in the direction of change. The damp and surprisingly hospitable west coast. I'm a bit conflicted as to whether or not I should plug this entry full of what has gone down here n the past 6 days I think storytelling is best left for my drunken nostalgia-fests that are to com ein next several months. Instead maybe I'll just throw out some of my feeling on travel as emotions are best when carefully articulated, and the only time I feel articulate is when I sit infront of a glowing monitor. If the whole thing fails, I apologize in advance.
there really is nothing quite like traveling alone. In many of my travels I have done things alone. Usually it's a means to an end and my goal is to meet up with others, but the travel part tends to be solo. From my experience I can say there is nothing more frightening.
essentially, traveling alone is like starting a brand new life. Armed with only a few possessions, you have to re-create everything that that was already built for you back home. You can have a second go at who you are. You can start a whole new character and do absolutely everything differently. You are absolutely free.
the problem is everyone else around you already has an established character and that is the intimidating part. You're the new kid walking among giants. Everyone you talk to is a first impression and there is no rehearsal, only improv. Completely out of your comfort zone (and if your from Saskatchewan is a pretty big flat zone)there are few options. Personally, I have always had the tendency to make a b-line for the closest comfort. Something, anything familiar, in my case usually someone I know. No first impressions, no new character, just someone to hold you hand and help around this strange new world.
so much for self discovery. No pun intended.
the question that burndens my mind right now is where do I go? Do I stay among the familiar in Vancouver, or do I finally challenge myself and hostel it out in Victoria? Is it really that shameful to take the easy road? How much do I really want this new life, this new character? Or do I just want the same character in a new level?
I've never been good with decisions.

in other news everything is gorgeous on the west coast. The ocean, green things and my second autumn of the year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very different to be here without you. I'm coping.

A second autumn, hm? Heh. 'Cause the first one wasn't quiiiite enough. ;)

i miss you,
kim

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you make it back to saskatoon next year, there's this girl with a super8 camera and we could make movies. That seems to be my plan. Plus getting grants, etc. Hopefully, I'll get to visit out there some time . . . maybe after school is out.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home